Eliza and I ventured out to the polls this morning to fulfill my voting duty. On our first trip there, we found the line to be at the back of the parking lot, so we went back home to grab a bottle and some other entertainment necessities. We set out again and after parking very far away, strolled to the end of the very, very long line. After checking (many times) to make sure I had my registration card and ID, I started hoping and praying that Eliza would make it through her first voting experience. I dreaded the thought of waiting in line for hours only to not vote because of a screaming baby.
As we trekked our way to the building, we met many wonderful people, and I think Eliza provided a bit of entertainment for the crowd. She smiled and laughed and checked out everybody. After about 1 1/2 hours, Eliza lost her temper a little. I struggled through holding her, feeding her a bottle, pushing the stroller, and moving slowly through the line. It was quite a feat!
We finally made it through the "check-in line", only to be sent back with our pink slip to the new "voting line", which was also practically at the end of the parking lot. I feared losing my pink slip and having to start this process over again.
Once we got back in the building and the voting booths were in sight, I let out a sigh of relief. We made it! Amazingly enough, Eliza survived the three hour wait without too much anxiety. We met many people along the way, and I was certainly glad to cast my vote!
If only parents with small children could be sent to the front of the line...
5 comments:
I'm impressed you made it out to vote with baby in tow!! I just didn't think I could do it quite this soon. :)
Wow! Good job doing your civic duty! :)
Seriously, they should have let you scoot to the front of the line!
You poor girl...you have more patience than I have ever thought about having. Eliza is such a cutie!
Gina Cartner
Good Lord! You poor thing. I couldn't have stood any longer than the two hours I had to wait with both boys. When we got to the front an elderly lady came through and got to cut in front of me and everyone because she was "handicapped." I sure felt pretty handicapped...just didn't have the placard to prove it. :)
Post a Comment